Whatever Your Argument, Remember "Be Prepared To Prove It"
- Share with your lawyer every important fact and piece of evidence, good and bad, applicable to the factors.
- If you have been the primary caregiver for the children.
- If the children are happy, are healthy, are well-adjusted, and have good grades, and you were their primary caregiver.
- If the other parent has engaged in inappropriate activity, consider hiring a private investigator.
- If you have concerns over the other parent’s mental health, consider asking the court to appoint a forensic psychologist to perform an independent child custody evaluation or court-ordered mental evaluation.
- There Is No Such Thing As “Winning” A Custody Battle:
Keep your children out of disputes. Even if you are honest and heartfelt in discussing your divorce with your children, the judge will likely hold this against you.
- Don’t Date:
Focus your efforts on demonstrating to the court that your children are your first priority.
Read and study the factors for Tennessee custody found in Tennessee Code Annotated 36-6-106.