Persons Eligible to Receive Adoption Records:
- Adult individuals, age 21 or older, surrendered for the purpose of adoption.
- An adopted individual’s birth, adoptive, step- or legal parent older than 21-years of age.
- An adopted individual’s birth or adoptive siblings, age 21 and older.
- An adopted individual’s lineal descendants or lineal ancestors, age 21 and older.
Note: The adopted person must consent to the release of any identifying information contained in the sealed record.
Individuals Who Cannot Receive Access to Adoption Records Include:
- A parent or pre-adoptive guardian whose rights were involuntarily terminated for cause.
- A sibling, lineal ancestor, spouse or attorney of the person whose rights were involuntarily terminated for cause.
- A person guilty of a crime of violence or neglect against the adopted person.
- Alleged parent or relatives.
Eligible persons may download a request form and instructions from TN Department of Children's Services.
There is a $150 fee for this service.